For FREE Downloadable Resources Click Here
Welcome back to the 7th installment of the Virtual Team Series where we’re building your band of rock stars. If this is your first time listening to Solopreneur Money you are welcome to head back to episode 24 to learn how to get started building your band or if you are just looking for communication tips you can stay right here.
Now that you have gotten started building your team it’s important to learn how to communicate effectively to make sure that everyone is on the same page. That’s why I’ve asked communication expert Doug Campbell to join me. He’ll teach us 7 tips that we can use to communicate effectively. Press play to hear those tips.
You will want to hear this episode if you are interested in…
- What brought Doug to where he is today [2:32]
- Learning how to talk to strangers [8:03]
- How Doug adjusted to becoming a solopreneur [16:55]
- 7 tips for better communication [21:32]
- A bonus tip [41:43]
- The money questions [46:08]
How did Doug Campbell become an expert communicator?
Growing up Doug Campbell was an extreme introvert. He didn’t realize that was a problem until he got to college. He realized then that if he wanted to succeed in any career he would have to improve his communication skills. That’s when he signed up for a public speaking class to improve. Even though it made him weak in the knees, he knew he was doing the right thing.
Through his drive to improve his weaknesses, he ended up turning those weaknesses into strengths and now he has developed a passion for teaching others how to make these life-changing improvements.
7 tips to improve your communication skills
- Overcommunicate – You don’t have to be the best communicator, but to ensure clarity it’s best to be specific about your needs. Clarity matters!
- Treat everyone you meet like you are already friends. When meeting someone new many people have a skeptical mindset. They are sizing the person up as they meet them. Instead of taking that attitude, create a positive mindset. Deliberately decide to like them until they give you a reason to think otherwise.
- Be obsessively dependable. Don’t take your word lightly. If you say you are going to do something, make sure that you get it done.
- Don’t forget about in-person networking. You never know how a person can completely change your world, so make sure that you get out there and meet people to expand your network.
- Make sure to get enough sleep. Sleep is crucial to improving behavior, focus, and mood. If you’ve ever had a teenager you know firsthand how lack of sleep affects the way you act.
- Not every interaction is pass/fail. Break the mindset of worrying whether people like you or not. No one is liked by all. Just be yourself and be a good person.
- Make sure to always think of the big picture. Don’t just think one day at a time. Always consider your overall goal and how your communication is helping you to achieve that goal.
Don’t miss out on this interview to hear Doug’s fantastic communication advice. Be sure to listen until the end to get the bonus tip.
Visit my website for FREE resources to help you reach your financial goals. You can also email me for more information or schedule a consultation by visiting my website. All links are shared below.
Resources & People Mentioned
Connect with Doug Campbell
- Twitter: @DougCampbellSC
- LinkedIn: @DougCampbell
- Facebook page: Doug Campbell Communication Coaching
- Website: MrDougCampbell.com
Connect With Gabe Nelson
- FREE Downloadable Resources at https://www.gabenelsonfinancial.com/resources/
- EMAIL: Gabe (at) GabeNelsonFinancial.com
- Follow Gabe on LinkedIn
- Follow Gabe on Twitter: @GabeNelsonCFP
- Follow Gabe on Facebook
- Follow Gabe on Instagram: @GabeNelsonCFP
Audio Production and Show notes by
PODCAST FAST TRACK